Thursday, October 23, 2008

Typical Day

A friend of mine (Kristin Fischer Rosel - Hi Kristin) asked what a typical day is like now that we are living in Berlin. To be honest not much as changed from our "regular routine". We still get up in the morning, have breakfast, feed the cats, take Logan to school and then busy ourselves with typical daytime stuff. Chris spends his time looking for a job while I take care of Connor most days. I do laundry, clean the flat, make meals, go on walks with the baby, go to the park, etc.

Grocery shopping is a little different from what we are used to back in St. Paul. Since we don't have a car we have to shop more frequently. We purchased a little grocery cart on wheels so we can get a little more when we go out. They don't give out bags here so you have to bring your own. We use a combination of cloth and plastic. We also don't shop at one place. We have to go to many places to get everything we need. We are lucky to have two bio stores nearby. The BioFresh and the BioCompany. We also go to Kaiser's which is not as nice as a Kowalski's or Lund's/Byerly's but nicer than a Cub or Rainbow. Once I again I feel the need to show pics but have none sadly. I will take some and post.
Everything takes longer to do here without a car but hey I'm okay with that. I think having a car would be a liability in this city. First of all there are no places to park. No one has garages so it's a free for all on the street. In some neighborhoods like ours you have to pay to park on the street. The U & S-Bahn trains as well as the buses are excellent in Berlin. You can get just about anywhere in the city. Biking is HUGE here too. There are bike lanes everywhere. WATCH OUT! If you're standing in a bike lane you'll get run over by a cranky biker. They are freaks about this for sure.
Connor and I have been to the doctor's which isn't really a part of a typical day but this is a little different too. I think I've mentioned these experiences in other posts but basically the doc does it all. I was a little worried about the shots for Connor and the blood draw for me but all went well. For those that care my thyroid levels are A-OK.
So our typical day is like your typical day. We just happen to live in a European city.
If you would like to come visit us and see for yourselves, please feel free to let me or Chris know. We have an extra room with a nice large comfortable bed.

No comments: