Friday, October 3, 2008

German Reunification Day

Happy Reunification Day Germany!

Today marks the 18th year. Crazy that it's been that long already. Logan has the day off of school. He woke up at 5 a.m. this morning to finish building a new Lego set he bought himself yesterday. It's the AT-TE Walker from the new animated Star Wars movie "The Clone Wars". I made him go back to bed. Connor followed him out into the darkness of the morning and he too was brought back to bed with a little early morning milky. Connor was happy and Logan not so much. They slept another hour or two. As much as I don't want to wish their lives away and have them grow up to soon, I can't wait for them to be teenagers so they'll "sleep in" until noon. :-)

I wanted to include a link to the festivities of the day here but since I don't know German it's tough to find something English. I could have refined my searches in Google but I don't have the energy at the moment. Must be my anemia :-) or that I was up at 5. Anyway, here is a link to Wikipedia http://berlinadventures.blogspot.com/. The best I can do at the moment. The paper says that there is lots going on at the Brandenberg Gate so we'll head over there after Connor's nap.

Since today is a holiday there isn't much open. Connor is out of Soy milk. I was supposed to go out at around 6 p.m. last night to get my meds and milk but forgot as I was making dinner. Shit! I sure hope something is open at the train stations. Maybe we'll go check out Hauptbanhof.

More later.

I forgot the camera :-( I'm so sad. I wanted to take some pics at the festival but with all the crap we take with us we forgot it. Oh well.

The crowds were deep deep deep. It was way worse than the MN State Fair. BLAH! In fact at times we would be at a standstill. I hate large crowds like that. Anyway, we finally made it out and got some food. I had this beef goulash with noodles that was very good. Chris and Logan had wurst with pommes (sausgage with fries). Connor ate off our plates. He really likes fries. Later Logan and I spotted the Haribo booth and treated ourselves to 10 Euros worth of candy. Yummy. We also stopped to get some crepes. Chris and Logan had cinnamon and sugar while I had bananas and Nutella (chocolate). All very tasty and Connor loved it all too. The only thing on a stick was either candied or chocolate covered apples.

There were a couple games and one ride (ferris wheel) that we could see. They had a huge bandstand and lots of large screens everywhere so you could see what was happening on stage. Lots of beer and fried food stands mostly.

Chris and Logan went back Saturday night but said the place was dead. It was cold so I suppose most folks wanted to be inside.

Connor and I stayed home in the warm comfort of our flat and went to bed early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I saw your comment on Erin's blog (NY Adventures, Berlin Adventures) and thought I would stop by and say, "Hello." Erin and I lived in DE at the same time (her-Berlin, me-Erlangen) while we had fellowships with the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.

I'm back in DE, now living in Bonn and working for an international NGO. If you have any questions about surviving in Germany, feel free to drop me a line: lonestar_121 at yahoo dot com.

Good luck with settling in... it takes a while, but it's worth it. I still miss the conveniences of the US, but I really love it here!

Mit freundlichen Gruesse,
Johnna

Jennifer said...

Hi Johnna. Thanks for your comment and kind words. I do have questions and will drop you an email soon. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I realized I could notify myself of comments but only recently discovered this feature.