Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Week in Review

Not sure how much review I can do as I'm on Connor watch this evening so here it goes....

JOBS
None.

GERMAN STUDIES
Trying to connect with the folks at the Goethe Institute. I plan to take a night course three times a week so I have to call the admissions office for the evening classes but everytime I call I get a busy signal. This is typical here in Germany. Seems to me that the German telecom only hands out one line to everybody and that is that. I've emailed too but no response. I may have to just go down to the office to register. Not really convient with Connor but I guess I can try it. Worse case I have to leave and try another time.

SICK KIDS
So Connor recovered from his fever. First time for him. He threw up once which I documented in an early which isn't bad for him. Connor is a puker. We lucked out with Logan so I guess we were due. I was a puker when I was little. Ask my mother, okay don't but it's true. BLAH!!! Okay anyway we did call his doctor but of course couldn't get through so both Chris and I emailed. She got back to us a few hours later. For some reason our phone wasn't working right and she couldn't get me on my cell so she emailed us then we emailed back and then finally later in the evening of the next day I actually got her on the phone. By then Connor's fever had broken and he was getting better. No need to go in thank goodness. We don't have a car so we would have had to take the bus or the train to get to the clinic. I hope Connor (and Logan) never get sick again. It was an experience let me tell you.

Now Logan has been pretty healthy since we got here. Just allergies mostly but he broke out in a weird rash all over his body. Not sure if it is food or something else. Anyway as long as he is taken his allergy meds he doesn't have the rash so the doc said we should probably come in and have blood drawn. Oh crap. Logan hates shots and now he has to have blood drawn. I think we'll have to knock him out for that one.

LAUNDRY
This is the bain (did I spell that correctly??) of my exsistance at the moment. I'll start off by saying that Chris IS OF NO HELP. He can't read any of the German on the bloody machine. This is part of the problem. There are so many choices and don't know what to choose and bablefish isn't of any help either. It's driving me crazy. It shouldn't be this hard. I'm going to have to get one of our German friends to come over and show me how to do laundry here. Everything we own (unless it's black) has some sort of berry stain on it. Connor likes to spread it around. What the heck am I going to do??? Feel like crying now. boo hoo boo hoo

MAIL
I can't seem to get my butt in gear to send any. I will though trust me I will.

FOOD
Logan continues to cause us grief but today Chris had Logan try some chicken noodle soup he had made and Logan loved it. Oh MY GOODNESS. He also tried raspberry jam on toast and liked it too. Is Logan turning over a new leaf??? I won't hold my breath :-) Connor on the other had is a good eater as is Chris who eats (it seems anyway) a pint of ice cream every night. He must be stressed out :-) I on the other hand have been eating nasty nasty food like Coke and coffee (mostly milch kaffees) and chocolate and other bad foods. I'm craving a Coke right now. Good thing we aren't buying it. I'll just continue to suck down my wasser mit gas (bubbly water).
CARE PACKAGES
Thanks to all that have sent us care packages from the USA. We are so happy to receive them. I just received A&D Ointment, TP, lotion and books from my cousins Karen and Jim. Thanks so much. My mother is keeping Logan and Connor feed with Kraft Mac & Cheese, Gerber fruit puffs, M&Ms (they taste nasty here) & Tootise rolls. Chris' parents, Sandy & Pete have sent us our forwarded mail and meds for the kids. Of course there is more and we thank everyone so much. It is hard to find replacements for all the products we used in the US. I still can't find a replacement for A&D ointment so if you are so inclined feel free to send us some. Baby Connor needs it for his bum :-)

SMOKING
They still do it here. YUCK!!

DOGS
They still poop everywhere. Seems worse now that the leaves are falling. It's dangerous out there.

SITE SEEING
Had a nice time on my walking tour of Berlin. Plan to do much more. Found out that the Grimm Brothers have their graves near our house as well as Marlene Dietrich. We will go on a grave tour soon. I plan to go to the Pergamon Museum this week to see the Babylon exhibit. Will report on that later in the week.

JFK SCHOOL
We think we've finally got Logan on the right track at school. We found out now two weeks ago that he was missing homework and was sort of lost on what he was to bring home for homework, etc. The school isn't the best on communication and the teachers don't seem to be working together but it's still early and Chris says we need to give them a chance. So I'm waiting to see how it all works out before his first conference in October.

MUSIC TOGETHER
Connor and I went to our first class past week. The next day he got the fever so he wasn't too into it but hopefully this week will be different. No kids his age so I'm hoping to get him into another session. Also the train/bus ride out to the class takes an hour. Not loving the commute. The other class is closer. Hopefully we can switch. Keep fingers crossed.

WEEK AHEAD
We expect our boxes that we shipped on the slow boat in July will be coming this week and we are very excited. It is cold here and we don't really have jackets or warm clothing. I packed more toys and books for the kids as well as some games. They'll be happy to see it. We didn't bring much with us so the kids are really bored with what they have here. It will be good to put these things away so a few months from now those toys will be new again.

Chris will be working hard on looking for a job. We've got our desks up so it's nice to be able to sit at a desk and blog or do whatever on the computer. Logan has a desk too and it makes doing homework easier. Connor likes it too and does his homework on the desk. More like get into trouble but he's trying.

I've got more pics to post and will do some in the coming week. Make sure to check my flickr account for more pics closer to the end of the week. http://www.flickr.com/photos/prettyblackcat.

I found this web site for american expats. Check it out http://www.amiexpat.com/. It's been somewhat helpful. It's interesting to read for sure.

No comments: