Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday Madness

Okay it wasn't quite as mad as you might think but I was busy today. Forgive any spelling errors. Too lazy to check :-)

PERGAMON
I finally got my butt over to the Pergamon Museum to see the Babylon: Myth & Truth exhibit. If you are interested in checking it out online I've added links above. Anyway, I got over there around 12:30 and stayed until about 4ish. At the end my back was killing me and I decided to just listen to the rest of the stories. I found a nice bench and just punched in the numbers in to my headset. I had a self-guided tour in English.

All in all it was a pretty good exhibit. There are two parts. The myth (based on the Bible's interpretation) and the truth about the people, royalty and life in general. If you look at all the artifacts they've uncovered over the years you get the feeling that these folks were pretty on top of it; way ahead of their time in almost every facet of life. It's pretty cool to look at the sculptures, books, paintings, etc. and think that most of what I am looking at is like 4000 years old. Crazy.

The Babylon exhibit ends this week but I need to go back to the museum to see the Greek and Roman antiquities and artifacts. I was only able to see the Pergamon temple. There are a ton of museums here and I hope I'll be able to see more. The next museum stop for me is the National Gallery. I think this is the museum with the Egyptian antiquities. My favorite.

REGISTERED FOR GERMAN CLASS
After the museum I went to the Goethe-Institute and registered for my German language class. I start on October 28th. I'm pretty excited. I brought some books with me and have been trying to learn a little German this way. It's helped for sure but there is nothing like going to class and interacting with other people. Logan has been teaching me a few lines of German too. I've been using what I've learned so far in the "real" world and so far so good. Only bad thing is that I don't always understand the answer so I end up having to ask (in German) if whomever I'm talking to speaks English. Kind of a bummer but that will resolve once I learn more.

COLANDER
I bought a nice colander today along with a laddle, spatula, measuring cup, shredder (for cheese) and a milk steamer pot (for hot choco & milche kaffe). Ah the basics of life. You really miss these simple utensils when you don't have them for 3 months. It's nice to be somewhat civilized again.

THE WEEK AHEAD
We have a busy week ahead of us. Chris hopes to send his resume out this week along with making some phone calls to contacts he has here. Logan has basketball after school on Tuesdays and is getting extra help with math after school on Thursdays. He has Friday off as it is German Unification Day here in Germany. Connor and I will be going to music class tomorrow evening and my goal is to finally unpack some of my clothing and hang them up in one of the armiors. I also have to go back to my Drs. office to get the results of my thyroid blood test. I can't remember if I talked about my experience last week but let's just say it was pretty low tech. I was somewhat scared. The Dr. I saw didn't speak much English but we muddled through it. I see the English speaking Dr. Wednesday so it will be interesting to see how they interpret my lab results.

No comments: